Did you know that heating your food in the microwave in a plastic container can cause chemicals to leach into your foods? 
Studies have shown that certain chemicals from plastic can leach into food and beverages we consume, some of which have been linked to a number of health problems. This leaching can be sped up when plastic is exposed to heat, such as adding a container to your microwave. 
If you’d prefer to stay clear of consuming harmful chemicals next time you enjoy some leftovers (we’re sure that’d be your preference!) ditching plastic tupperware is the way to go.
That’s one of the reasons why we love eco-friendly lunch boxes and containers made from glass or stainless steel. Not only are they sturdy, stylish and sustainable, they’re also better for you to store your food in and won’t leach any harmful chemicals!
The Tradie Box is one of our much loved lunch containers, and although it can’t be added to the microwave (we use our Eco Stow Sets for that) it can store a day of food, minus any plastic!
The three levels of separation are ideal for packing your lunch & snacks for the day and taking them on the go with you. We like to store salads or sandwiches in the bottom, snacks or toppings in the other two sections. One of our favourite combos is:
- Bottom Level: Roasted Vegetable of Quinoa Salad (recipe below)
- Middle Level: chopped carrot with pesto dip in a Silicone Muffin Cup
- Top Level: small piece of fruit, coconut yoghurt in one of our leak-proof pots and nuts, dried fruit & coconut pieces in a Silicone Muffin Cup to keep it all separate.
A day's worth of meals, all in one container, now that’s something we can get around!
Roasted Vegetable & Quinoa Salad Recipe
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 beetroot, chopped into bite sized chunks
- 2 slices kent pumpkin
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Handful washed kale, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste (about 1 medium lemon)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 180oC and line a baking tray with Un-Baking Paper.
- Add the beetroot and pumpkin to the tray and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt & pepper and toss.
- Roast until the veggies are soft and brown - about half an hour.
- In a bowl mix together the lemon juice, tahini, maple syrup and garlic. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mix together until combined. Add water slowly if you prefer a runnier consistency.
- Slice up the kale to bite size pieces, then add the roast veggies, quinoa, dressing and herbs to a large mixing bowl and mix all together.
- Add to a Tradie Box, top with pine nuts and enjoy for lunch!
- If you have any leftovers, add to an Eco Stow container and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.